Saturday, August 16, 2014

Internet - Awesome Face Head

Back in 2013 I was invited to a Children of the Internet birthday party. The theme was to dress up like something that was internet related - be it a meme, viral video, etc. I decided to go as Awesome.

This head was completed in April of 2013
and worn to Mobicon 2013 and E3 2013.  



Here is a tutorial on how you can make your own Awesome Face head or anything similar to it:

First you need a clear acrylic globe, I used this one - 12" Clear Acrylic Globe




They have multiple sizes available. I needed a small one since I have a very small head.
For most cases, I would suggest the 14" Clear Acrylic Globe with 5.25 in. Neckless Opening.

You will then want to cut the opening to fit your head inside.
For me, I cut it to have a 7 inch diameter. For everyone else, I would suggest going for something more along the lines of 7 3/4 inches. You can try 7 1/2 first and then make it bigger as you feel necessary. I used my  Black & Decker RTX-B 3-Speed RTX Rotary Tool to create the opening.
There are many other tools you can use to do this but I preferred to use my rotary tool.

After the opening is cut, you can then paint the globe. I used Krylon Fusion Spray Paint Sunbeam



You will want to spray a good even layer of Sunbeam paint around the entire globe.



While that is drying, you can begin on the face. You can use the face I posted above this as a traceable pattern (that's what I did). I used craft foam to create the eyes and mouth. There are a dozen other ways you can make this. You can paint it on directly onto the globe, you can use mesh (to create something more sight friendly), you can use cloth, and the list goes on.


I took a template of the face and cut pieces of 2mm craft foam (available in most local stores including Walmart) to mimic it. I glued them together using Loctite Liquid Professional Super Glue and then glued them onto the globe. 


That's pretty much it! You can make little slots under the eyes for you to see out of (this is what I did) that blends right into the dark shadows of the eyes or you can use an alternative method to
see out of this. But for now... you are AWESOME!


 GO FORTH AND BE AWESOME!


No comments:

Post a Comment